|Babylon Boat Works||
A full 4X8 sheet of 3/4 Starboard ready to go on the router.
Today was clean up day in the shop. After four days of sanding the shop was a dust bowl. Pete Johnston came by with his leaf blower and we set him up on scaffolding and he cleaned the joint up. George wet mopped the floor and we set up for Starboard cutting.
Tony's Mako took the trip to the paint show today. In about a week it should be looking good and ready for the finish work
Today we finished sanding the entire boat. It is now ready to go to the paint shop where Matt at Perfect Ten Auto will transform it into a new looking boat.
All holes, dings and scratches have been filled and the entire boat sanded to a 120 grit finish.
It will be done in Awl Grip paint with a pale green Aqua Mist hull and Oyster White topside.
The console, transom door and front storage hatches went to the paint shop today. While the boat is being painted I will get to work on setting up the console for wiring and non-skid finishing the hatches and transom door.
The almost finished product. Tank coffin cover on and epoxy with cabosil layered to fill the void. We decided to lock it in as all sealants like silicone, 4200 etc all shrink with time and let water in. This will keep it all out and if we ever need to remove the hatch we can do it with a skill saw and a pry bar. You can always fix what you messed up on the first time. There is always a way.
Here is Pete drizzling some epoxy slurry into the void of the coffin cover and the main deck
Pete the chemist mixing the West System epoxy and fluffing with cabosil.
All tank fittings and hoses connected and ready for the cover. The only one remaining is the pick up tube but that can be done later after painting.
We engineered a pressure test kit to check the integrity of the full pipe. On my boat one of the pipes running from the deck fill to the tank was ruptured and gas would leak. We wanted to make sure that it was not broken so George made up a system of plugs and air pressure to make sure the fill we are using is not cracked.
I left the alternate fill pipe and vent for the second tank in tack so that if the primary leaks we can shift it to the secondary tank fill and vent.
A good day at the shop.
Captain Al Lorenzetti
23 Mako Dec 2010
This boat was a complete reconstruction. New fuel tank, all fiberglass repaired, new wiring, all new hardware and plumbing, starboard replacement of almost all original teak, new console new rub rail, grab rail, trim tabs, live well system, leaning post, complete bottom sanding and painting with Micron Extra and a complete Awl Grip paint both topside and hull. New Lowrance electronics and a new Mercury OptiMax engine with new gauges and harnesses were added to finish the job.